Map
Menu

What was the Veeartsenijterrein?

A faculty in the Wittevrouwen (White Women) neighbourhood

The former Veeartsenijterrein (Veterinary Terrain) spans the area between the Biltstraat and the Kardinaal de Jongweg.

The terrain’s lifeline

Most of the buildings of the Veterinary School were situated along the Biltse Grift, which flows from Zeist to the Griftpark (which was named after the stream).

It all started in in 1821

The Rijksveeartsenijschool (State Veterinary School) was founded on the estate of the 17th century mansion Gildestein.

And soon other buildings appeared

Around 1900, a riding school (the Paardenkathedraal (Horse Cathedral)), stables and the Pathologisch Instituut (Institute of Pathology) were constructed.

Another extension around 1920

Around 100 years ago, the complex was extended northwards with the addition of the Kliniek voor Kleine Huisdieren (Small Animal Clinic) and the Veterinair Anatomisch Instituut (Institute of Veterinary Anatomy) (photo).

We can still find echoes of the terrain

Although the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine has in the meantime moved to De Uithof, the history of the current residential area is still reflected by some of the street names.

Utrecht
Time Machine
© 2022 Utrecht Time Machine
Geolocation is not supported by this browser
You have denied the use of geolocation
Geolocation information is unavailable
Geolocation request timed out
An unknown error occurred
Utrecht
Time Machine