From the Janskerkhof to the F.C. Dondersstraat
Founded by F.C. Donders
In 1852, Donders used his private capital to set up an outpatients' clinic exclusively for ophthalmology.
Initially in the Minrebroederklooster
The outpatients' clinic was located in the former monastery on the Janskerkhof. At the time, this university building served as a research laboratory.
To the Begijnehof in 1858
Later, a new hospice was founded: 'Het Nederlandsch Gasthuis voor behoeftige en minvermogende ooglijders te Utrecht' ('Dutch Hospice for Needy and Poorly Affluent Eye Sufferers in Utrecht'). Nowadays it is a hotel with the appropriate name 'Eye Hotel'.
A new director
For over 20 years, from 1862 up to and including 1883, Donders was the director of the Ooglijdersgasthuis. In 1884, he was succeeded by Herman Snellen, who was a bit of a celebrity in Utrecht.
Between 1892 and 1894, this impressive building was constructed on the corner of the Bleyenburgstraat. The street running from the Biltstraat to the entrance of the Ooglijdersgasthuis was later renamed the F.C. Dondersstraat.