Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
When people think of lab animals, they often imagine dazed rabbits and wounded mice in cramped cages — But that's not how animals are treated in the faculty of Veterinary Medicine. Some students and staff pamper the animals on a daily basis. For example, dogs are walked regularly.
In 1874, the title veterinarian became legally protected. It took until 1910 before veterinarians – who had called themselves animal surgeons up until then – managed to acquire a stronger position in Dutch society. This was mainly thanks to the scientific development of veterinary medicine, resulting in the availability of effective therapies, vaccines and new animal medications.
At the same time, the profession was extended to include the care of small animals and quality checks on meat, milk and eggs. The quality of veterinary teaching and research was raised, and in 1918 the name of the school was changed to Veeartsenijkundige Hoogeschool (Veterinary High School). In 1925, the Veeartsenijkundige (Veterinary) Faculty became part of Utrecht University.